Crash Reporting and Analysis for Safer Highways system (CRASH) is a free, secure Internet application for law enforcement agencies to process Texas Peace Officer's Crash Reports (CR-3) electronically. It is a component of the Crash Records Information System (CRIS).
The CRASH system includes the following features:
- Ability to enter crash data over any Internet connection
- Process supplement reports easily
- Integrated diagramming tool
- Auto population of fields
- Touch-screen capability for Toughbooks
- Use of intersection templates
- Embedded help
CRASH training will be scheduled as part of the set-up process for each agency.
If your agency has already received training, but would like to receive additional training, please email the Crash Support Team or call (512) 486-5711.
The time between the initial contact with TxDOT and the beginning of CRASH training is approximately one to three months. The activity that typically extends the timeframe is securing training dates.
The steps for an agency's enrollment are as follows:
- Agency contacts TxDOT regarding CRASH
- Determine agency status; on premise or internal identity provider (IdP):
- On Premise IdP: this option is typically selected by agencies who already have an active directory and where the officers prefer to use their existing IDs and passwords with CRASH. This option requires the installation and configuration of IdP software, with TxDOT's technical team's assistance, and also requires the agency to provide a physical or virtual slice of a server with a small footprint
- Internal IdP: This option is typically selected by agencies that are not interested in managing their officers’ user management internally and do not have server space available and/or full-time IT support
- Installation and configuration of the agency identity provider (IdP) in the test and production environment (only when on premise IdP is selected)
- CRASH agency training begins
TxDOT Traffic Operations Division
Crash Support Team
Phone: (512) 486-5711